It’s the end of the year, so I thought I’d do a quick little wrap-up of my reading and writing this year!
2016 Best Reads/Listens**:
- Simon vs. The Homo Sapiens Agenda – Becky Albertalli
- The Disaster Artist – Greg Sestero & Tom Bissell
- My Sister Lives on the Mantlepiece – Annabel Pitcher
- Persuasion – Jane Austen
- Silence is Goldfish – Annabel Pitcher
- Saving Red – Sonya Sones
- Bonus (Best Holiday Read): What Light – Jay Asher
**I didn’t keep track of my reading and listening for the entire year, so these are recollections to the best of my memory! I attempted (and failed) to start a monthly recap of my reading habits again this year, so I’m probably missing a few stand-out reads from the months before and after that venture.
2016 Most Disappointing/Frustrating Reads/Listens:
- Things We Know by Heart – Jessi Kirby: I thought this was a beautiful book when I started it, but the way events unfolded—and the ultimate message of the story—really rubbed me the wrong way.
- The Future of Us – Jay Asher and Carolyn Mackler: Fun premise, but awful characters I didn’t like AT ALL!
- The Rest of Us Just Live Here – Patrick Ness: Again, the premise of this one was awesome, and it started out promising, but I found it ultimately boring and pointless.
- Miss Peregrine’s Home for Peculiar Children – Ransom Riggs: I really wanted to like this one, but it was a struggle from beginning to end. I thought the book was marketed incorrectly, the concept was badly handled, and the writing really let me down. Definitely the biggest disappointment of the year for me!
At the beginning of the year, I made myself some bookolutions, which I totally admit I forgot about! So, I’ve gone back to see them again, and see how I did!
A Series I Plan to Begin: I cheated a bit with this one and mentioned a series I had already started, the Orca Secrets series. I haven’t finished it, but I did continue the series in 2016, so I’ll call that a win!
A Series I Plan to Finish: I wanted to finish the Lunar Chronicles this year, and I did! In addition to Winter, I also listened to Stars Above, making my Lunar Chronicles goal complete, =)
A Book I’ve Put Off Reading Year After Year: I wanted to tackle The Absolutely True Diary of a Part-Time Indian for this one, which I did pretty early on in the year. It was a great story, and I’m glad I finally got around to experiencing it!
A Book or Series I Plan to Re-read: I’ve mentioned before that I’m not a re-reader. I intended to listen to Peter Pan again this year, which I started with my husband (he’s never heard the story), but didn’t finish.
A Genre I’d Like to Read More of: For this I said Historical Fiction, and…I think I probably read about the same amount of historical fiction as I always do? I didn’t go out of my way to complete this goal.
The Number of Books I Want to Read: I left this one blank, and I’m glad I did. I really do prefer just reading when I can and enjoying the process instead of keeping track! Since I didn’t have a goal, but I did read books in 2016, I’ll say this goal was complete, =P
My Non-Bookish Resolution: My non-bookish resolution for 2016 was simply to keep writing, and keep doing whatever possible to get my stories edited, polished, queried, and published. In 2016, I finished rewriting one story, editing another, plus I published a short story and signed with Orca Book Publishers for an upcoming MG book! So I’d definitely say I had a successful 2016 writing year!
That’s my reading and writing wrap-up for 2016. Let me know what your best/worst reads or writing achievements were this past year!